DSpace university logo mark
Advanced Search
Japanese | English 

NAOSITE : Nagasaki University's Academic Output SITE > School of Medicine > Articles in academic journal >

Experience of Surgical Resection for Hilar Cholangiocarcinomas at a Japanese Single Cancer Institute


File Description SizeFormat
HepGas59_347.pdf100.81 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Title: Experience of Surgical Resection for Hilar Cholangiocarcinomas at a Japanese Single Cancer Institute
Authors: Nanashima, Atsushi / Tobinaga, Syuuichi / Abo, Takafumi / Machino, Ryusuke / Takeshita, Hiroaki / Nonaka, Takashi / Hidaka, Shigekazu / Tanaka, Kenji / Kunizaki, Masaki / Sawai, Terumitsu / Yasutake, Toru / Nagayasu, Takeshi
Issue Date: Mar-2012
Publisher: H.G.E. Update Medical Publishing Ltd.
Citation: Hepato-Gastroenterology, 59(114), pp.347-350; 2012
Abstract: Background/Aims: Surgical resection is a radical treatment option for hilar bile duct carcinoma (HBDC); however, it is still difficult to cure and postoperative morbidity is high at this stage. Methodology: We examined the demographics, surgical records and outcome in 38 patients with hilar cholangiocarcinoma undergoing operation. Results: Five patients (13%) underwent probe laparotomy because of peritoneal dissemination or liver metastasis. Of 33 patients, extended hemi-hepatectomy was performed in 32 patients. Postoperative complications were observed in 46% including hepatic failure in 3 and hospital death was observed in 4 patients. Advanced tumor stage more than stage III was observed in 23 patients. Curability of operation was A in 5 patients, B in 17 and C in 11 and postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy was administered in 24% including photodynamic therapy in 3. Tumor recurrence was observed in 41% of HBDC patients. The 3- and 5-year tumor-free survival was 38% and 10%, respectively and 3- and 5-year overall survival was 48% and 32%, respectively. By comparison with tumor stage or final curability, survival rates were not significantly different between groups. Conclusions: Surgical resection is still the only curative treatment option to improve patient survival even in advanced stage HBDC.
Keywords: Hepatectomy / Pancreatoduodenectomy / Hilar bile duct carcinoma radical resection
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10069/28628
ISSN: 01726390
DOI: 10.5754/hge09718
PubMed ID: 22353497
Rights: © H.G.E. Update Medical Publishing S.A.
Type: Journal Article
Text Version: author
Appears in Collections:Articles in academic journal

Citable URI : http://hdl.handle.net/10069/28628

All items in NAOSITE are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

 

Valid XHTML 1.0! Copyright © 2006-2015 Nagasaki University Library - Feedback Powerd by DSpace